Gelli plate mono prints using plant material

Having purchased a commercial gel plate some time ago and not really used it much, I decided to do some printing with plant material.  I made the following little book.  The cover uses a collagraph print around the spine and I mounted the trimmed prints on khadi paper.

Spirits of the Garden

I  then made myself a slightly larger plate, using gelatine and glycerine – the latter ingredient being important as it stops mould developing and stops the gelatine turning to liquid, which is what happened the first time I made one using only gelatine.

The prints are a combination of the first print with the ghost print added over it to get the details of the plants.  On the second ivy print, I used the paint left on the leaves to press onto the negative shapes.





Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *