Whilst in Bangkok last December I saw some beautiful info tote bags for sale – quite expensive, so thought I would make my own. I’m really pleased with the way it turned out, using fabrics I bought in Japan and an Indian fabric as the lining. I zigzag stitched the outer fabrics onto a piece of heavy calico to give extra strength and used pieces of denim fabric for the top and bottom and handle pieces.
Umbellifers continue to intrigue me and I wanted to attempt something a little different. My inspiration was some pastel sketches I did of hogweed against the fields and sky. I glued down scraps of fabric with bondaweb and then stitched one layer of seed heads. I then added some pieces of transparent silk fabric to give some depth and stitched again. I added colour to the stems with Intense crayons.
I had some pieces of umbellifer printed Evelon remaining from the textile book based on these flowers, as well as sun printed fabric, so decided to make a quilt. The central background area is sun printed, the top and bottom are procaine dyed. I painted the binding with the same red paint I had used in the sun printing. I used free machine embroidery, some hand stitching and french knots on the appliquéd Evelon pieces before quilting the whole piece.