The first observation of wall 1 is taken from the different coloured textures as this is one large block of stone, but I thought the differences showed up as shapes in their own right. I used some paper I had made ages ago which I thought nicely reflected the textures.
This is the second wall where each shape is a seperate stone. This is using black cartridge paper.
This is my first attempt at stitching on canvas. It is quite a large hole canvas which I happened to have – subsequent pieces are on 10 holes to the inch. All the threads worked well enough except for the strip of cotton fabric which kept breaking. Thin threads obviously give a more open structure and show the canvas squares underneath, while thicker ones give a more blocky effect. Below is my second attempt and an attempt to think how I might translate the rubbing into stitch. The fairly thick greyish wool I used first for the heavier marks doesn’t work at all and looks too messy. The most successful piece is the one bttom left. I realise it is really difficult to cover every hole of the canvas and feel quite daunted by it.
The rubbing below is a closeup of the piece I want to use. It looks complex and I realised I couldn’t just go straight into trying to stitch the whole piece. I needed a plan of action so to speak and I thought a tracing would give a more linear idea of how I could work the stitches.
Then I thought I would do something totally different and more abstract as a change and to see how it turned out. The base is vilene painted ochre/orange, covered with lutradur painted grey with patches of painted bondaweb and both machine and hand stitches, with the edges then melted. I am not totally satisfies with it, particularly the machine stitching, so I’m sure I will have another attempt.