I had another session steam printing paper with plant material and decided to make a book from them. First I followed a suggestion by the author of the website dipandstain.blogspot to dip my sheets in a bath of washing soda – one cup hot water in which to disolve one teaspoon of soda, plus one cup of cold water. This brightens the colour a little. When they were dry I determined the order, glued each pair of pages together using a narrow piece of thin khadi paper along the spines and PVA glue. In my second dyeing session I had folded a couple of A4 sheets rather than tear them to fit in my steamer, so these obviously needed no further treatment. I used each pair as a separate signature and stitched them to form the book. I glued a strip of abaca paper along the spines and then glued on the cover. This had been pounded with flowers – dahlias, tagetes, using the stems as well from the miniature ones, cosmos. (You use a soft mallet, protecting the surface with another piece of paper over your work). I used the same method on some of the pages where I felt it enhanced the page. I am not sure how long the colour will last, but the effect is lovely. Finally I added a coat of acrylic wax to give some protection.
Front and back covers:
Inside front and back covers:
Some inside pages:
An abundance of perry pears
There is a steady thud as the pears hit the ground. Unfortunately the local farmer is not making perry this year and when I tried to juice some with my cheap juice maker it was not successful. The background fabric is lightly dyed cotton/linen sheeting that I had rollered over with acrylic paint with threads wrapped around the roller. It was evocative of the gnarled trunk of the tree. I cut open a pear and printed the cut side on to the fabric, the central seed star clearly visible. The three appliqued pears are cut from a crinkly velour. I coloured in the branches and leaves with intense pencil and water, adding colour to the trunk as well. I then used then added machine quilting which has given a slightly embossed feeling to the piece, though this is not conveyed very well in the photo. Finally, I enhanced some areas with white Markal painstick to give some light and shade.
This is really quite addictive! I’ve been playing around with it for the last week or so, trying out various ideas. This is a fairly large landscape which I have framed with black mount board in a black frame.
I stuck crumpled brown tissue paper on to paper, which I then bleached. I applied colour – mainly left over Procion dye and some Brusho, waxed the bits I wanted to retain, bleached and then applied the final colour. I like the effect of slight mistiness that this painting has.
Winter sun through trees
One of the other course members had used Quink ink on blue tissue paper and I had loved the way the ink ran into all the creases in the paper, so I had a go to see what would happen. There is no wax involved in this method, just crumpled tissue paper which was wetted before I added the ink. I then added sprayed judiciously with bleach. The result looked so much like a winter treescape that I painted in a wintery sun.
I wasn’t totally pleased with my first architectural attempt on the course, so did some more. This is my third attempt – again, I wasn’t satisfied with the first two , but this one I quite like.
I just love the effects of inking onto blue tissue paper and then bleaching, the rusty colours that result. This one started off horizontal, but after the first bleaching it needed something more, so I wet the paper and then added more ink, letting it run into the crinkled paper. Adding the strong straight ink line with a fainter echo to one side and turning the piece to vertical gave me this very satisfying image.