Chapter 4: Resists and Colour Discharge

I love the subtle effects that paintsticks give and how you can blend colours.  In this first example on black paper, some of the paper came away as I removed the masking tape – the lighter areas. The second sample is on black fabric.

In the bird sample below I was worried that the paint had got underneath the freezer paper,  but I rather like the effect this has produced.  I brushed on the orange first, then the blue.

The yellow fabric paint does not stand out very well from the black fabric below, but both pieces have a subtle effect.

Apart from the undesired blobs of wax, I think the two colours work well together here.  The fork gradually changed shape as I dipped it in the hot wax!

Below, the fabric was a bit too thin as the bleach spread beyond the holes.

As I love the effects you can get with compressed sponge I did several experiments with an egg shape.  Below I used bleach on black khadi paper.  This worked a bit too well, not leaving many speckles.

Bleach applied on paper painted with Koh-i-nor.  Too much removes all the colour, a bit less gives interesting effects.

Decolourant brushed on the jeans fabric

Decolorant sprayed through plastic mesh on to a predyed red cotton fabric (an old skirt), that had been passed through an indigo vat.  Only partly successful as I had trouble with the spray.  It is interesting how the greenish colour has appeared out of nowhere!

The compressed sponge egg using bleach – again a bit unpredictable.  The second sample is with Decolorant and works better.  Procion dyed cotton.

Next I dipped the sponge in wax and brushed on blue fabric paint before ironing out the wax.  I did a bit of experimental stitching, using whip stitch for the patterning on the eggs.

This was a tree mask made from freezer paper.  I then sprayed on Decolorant.  I cut a bird shaped stencil which I coloured with Brusho inks.  I added a bit of stitching.  I think this could be explored and worked on further.

Chapter 3 Working with solubles

My first attempts with automatic patterns were not very successful – too many holes. I also found it much easier to use a frame.

The bird design above was stitched using a frame.  I first stitched a simple grid which I then enhanced with a grid using an automatic stitch.  I added a machine cord along one edge.  I was originally going to have the birds the other way up, but felt it looked better this way.

The following designis taken from the egg shapes.  It didn’t work too well not using a frame, the second attempt worked a lot better.

The tassels worked well – I used medium soluble film again.  I can see the potential here for lots of uses.  I like the grids too.  The feathers would work well in appliqué, probably need to be larger.

The birds below were printed onto water soluble paper.  My first attempt at this was a disaster which fell to bits.  On this one the paint still wasn’t thick enough as it has disappeared in some areas.  Without the grid it would not have held together at all.  I find this a difficult medium to use.

Aquabond works well for holding snippets in position for stitching.  I mayve used too much stitching in the second example , it has made a very dense piece.

I love using dyed scrim with soluble film, together with other fibres.