I have decided to make a small journal quilt each month, inspired by whatever is around me.
This is the first one I made for November, but I wasn’t totally satisfied , so did another: I was struck by how much colour there is still around this year so late in the season, lots of leaves on the trees still. The lower base fabric is a piece of rusted cotton which had some nice lines on it. I overlaid a piece of dyed organza, frayed edges, which partly covers the top appliquéd ‘tree’ shapes. The lower three shapes are stitched on top of it. The size is approximately A4.
Rain, rain, rain in December:
Since seeing an exhibition of Dijanne Cerval’s quilts in France a few years ago, I have realised how important the back of the quilt is as well as the front. This piece of commercial batik fabric perfectly continues the theme of falling rain.
This is another tiny quilt I made using commercial fabrics (except for the sky and the water).
I did a weekend course at Hawkwood College, just down the road from me, with Gizella Warburton at the end of October, entitled Colour, Mark and Composition. I didn’t know what to expect, but as I had had to cancel other courses I had booked earlier in the year, I thought it would help me find my creativity again and I liked the look of Gizella’s work. It certainly gave me a new perspective on how to look at things. We started by analyzing the colours within a small strip of a photograph and recreating the strip using scraps of fabric, threads, etc. We did various other exercises along the same vein, printed papers and fabrics, cut everything up to recreate something else. These were my final two pieces, both on a heavy cotton background, which I feel summarise the weekend for me. Much more abstract than I am used to working with, but a lot of food for thought.
I’ve finally got round to bringing this blog up to date. It was lovely to start work again and the first thing I did was an A5 sketchbook, just experimenting with different techniques, inspired by one Linda Kemshall was doing based on her own garden. Here are just a few pages from it.
Here the bleach from the previous page above has leached through to the next page and I decided to take advantage of it:
I also finished quilting a quilt I had started earlier in the year, inspired by Mickey Lawler’s Sky Quilts.
Each square is cut from cotton fabric that I had painted with Pebeo transparent fabric paints, except for one or two squares which had been dyed with Procion Mx dyes. I am not totally satisfied with the quilting stitches – I was trying out some new stitches and I am not convinced they all work.