The top sample uses only stitch to try and capture the different colours and fissures of the ice. In the second sample I used a piece of dyed scrim to give a more textured approach, but it was more difficult than I thought as, of course, the stitches immediately compress the texture.
I saw these images of the arctic seas and was fascinated by the lines formed, though I did think they might be more open to fabric manipulation than stitching, but you never know….
I used a dye palette for these samples. I didn’t use the green in the first image as it wasn’t in the original image, but just loved the juxtaposition of colours.
I wasn’t satisfied with these designs so looked through some books until I found the tulip design which really caught my eye, so I decided to work with this.
This was an interesting exercise which at first I felt I wanted to do as a continuous spiral from one colour into another, but I had too many pieces with too little space to really do this, so opted to do each colour seperately.