I saw these images of the arctic seas and was fascinated by the lines formed, though I did think they might be more open to fabric manipulation than stitching, but you never know….
I used a dye palette for these samples. I didn’t use the green in the first image as it wasn’t in the original image, but just loved the juxtaposition of colours.
I wasn’t satisfied with these designs so looked through some books until I found the tulip design which really caught my eye, so I decided to work with this.
This was an interesting exercise which at first I felt I wanted to do as a continuous spiral from one colour into another, but I had too many pieces with too little space to really do this, so opted to do each colour seperately.
This stitchery exercise is from a small detail of lichen on wall 1 where I endeavoured to show the way the colours blended into each other. Every stitch was made using two threads in the needle to achieve a subtle blend of colour, but I feel the thinner threads did not work as well, or maybe I should have used the smaller holed canvas.