A catch-up exercise, having found lots of work I haven’t kept a record of on this blog. Last year I did an online course with Elizabeth Barton on various aspects of dyeing cloth for quilt-making. I didn’t get round to actually making any quilts, but I was particularly interested in Elizabeth’s methods for arashi dyeing (wrapping fabric around a pole, scrunching up tightly and then dyed.
I’ve been doing some trials of shibori dyeing with Procion dyes, prior to doing some indigo dyeing with Ann. I have also been researching methods of dyeing before my trip to Japan next month when I intend going to Arimatsu.
At the end of August I had the wonderful experience of attending a workshop with India Flint at “les Soeurs Anglaises” (lots more photos on their site) in France.
I’ve been doing some experiments with disperse dyes after seeing a video from Linda Kemshall. I have previously used clingfilm on wet painted paper to get wonderful crinkly patterns, but Linda wanted to take this on to fabric by using the same technique with disperse dyes, pushing it further by using eucalyptus leaves laid on top of the wet paper before covering with cling film.