August journal quilt

The last allium standing

I left the alliums in the garden because the seed heads are so architectural I am loth to remove them.  But finally they had to go.  But that’s not quite the end of them as they come indoors into vases or into the studio to be propped up in odd places.


The background fabric is felt which I sun-dyed, together with a piece of silk and a piece of cotton, in an old jar of pickled beetroot that still had some vinegar and bits of beetroot in it.  I topped it up with more vinegar water and left the capped jar in the sunshine for a month.  The allium was stitched on to a piece of silk organza over the felt and the organza was then cut away and slashed in places.

July quilts

July journal quilt – Summer butterflies


There are so many butterflies in the garden, I felt I wanted to turn my piece of compost dyed fabric with its unexpected butterfly images into a quilt for this month.  The collaged butterfly at the bottom comes from a scarf I bought in Portabello market a while ago.  I made three stencils and used these with Markell paint sticks and then added stitching around the images.  It took me ages to decide how to quilt the background until I ‘invented’ a profusion of distant butterfly wing shapes.

This next quilt started out as a sun print, using Pebeo seta colour transparent paints.  I painted a landscape and laid on various dried plant material.  But it didn’t look right, so I added more paint to the images, some collage and then machine and hand stitch.