Compost dyeing

I recently learned about “compost dyeing” through buying an e-book from Kimberly Baxter Packwood, so though I would give it a go.  I used a piece of old sheeting, quite lightweight and rather worn after constant use.  I made a bundle using a few previously used pieces of pomegranate skin and a few fresh radish slices, a small piece of copper pipe and a bit of fine rusted wire, with elastic bands to hold it together.  I soaked it in vinegar solution and then buried it in the compost heap for a week.

compost-dyeing-1

compost-dyeing-2

These are two parts of the cloth.  Some areas didn’t take at all, maybe the piece of fabric was too big and maybe more would have happened if I had left the bundle in for longer.  It was not a fresh heap, so there wasn’t any heat there.  I think the results are quite impressive and I look forward to doing some more experiments.  I don’t know what the butterfly shapes are from in the second image,  but I like them!

 

May Journal Quilt

I didn’t buy any new tulips last Autumn, but many of the previous year’s “Venetian” collection from Sarah Raven came up again as well as some other bright magenta pink ones that come up year after year and are a fluted shape rather than the traditional cup shape.

tulips-5

tulips-4

tulips-3

tulips-2

tulips-1

 

I knew I had to something with them for this month’s quilt and decided to do an abstract piece, concentrating on conveying the richness of the colours.  I used all silk pieces of fabric.  The centre piece is made by sewing strips of fabric together, applying this to paper-backed bondaweb.  A grid of squares is drawn on to the paper and then diagonals on to the squares, in both directions, forming new squares.  You then cut along these diagonals, arrange your pieces on to a background fabric and iron on (paper removed of course).

The wonder of tulips

May-journal-quilt

I also made a cover for my current A5 sketchbook:

A5-sketchbook-cover

I used my embellisher to add various fabrics (a lot of silk scraps) to a background piece of dark blue felt.  I then stitched on various multi-coloured silk yarns.