More work for module 2

 Some more watercolour studies

Spartan apples

Beech leaves

Red cabbage leaf and tea towel

A series of collages

I was looking through some old photos and found some drawings my father had done of stylised birds.  I had done a page of wash, using some salt crystals and thought I could make an imaginary bird landscape.  I used a piece of paper I had painted and used cling film on, copied the 3 bird shapes at the bottom and on the right on to glossy paper, traced the other flying shapes on to painted papers added a drawn bird and a little more wash.

I took inspiration from two plates with fish designs to make the fish collage, using a variety of painted papers.

Using photographs and collage

I used gesso on the 2 jug photos and sandpaper on the pot one.  Further gesso was added to the page before the wash of colour to give some texture.  The other shapes were traced from photos and then painted.

The rubbings are done from wire shapes using oil pastels,  the collage shapes cut from a variety of painted papers, some enhanced with gold markel stick.

These rubbings were done using tissue paper over the shapes above, which I then glued on to the page with acrylic medium over a pale wash.  There is also a green rubbing of a lovage seed head in two of the pots (this perhsps could do with strengthening with some pencil lines).  I then went over the whole page with more wash.

I love my Provençal jug which sits in the sitting room filled with lavender.  On the first left hand page I collaged a photo of a piece of work I did using silk paper, scrim, net and stitch.  I used gesso to soften the edges, but this didn’t take the watercolour paint as much as I wanted so I used oil pastel to knock it back.  The jug shape on the second page is the cut out shape.

Chapter 10 – 3D Manipulated Structure

This is my final piece for Module 2.  I went through a lot of ideas and did a lot of thinking and visualising as well as the jottings below.

 

Below are some of the experiments I did to try to see what might work and what wouldn’t.

 

 

The finished construction

frontal view

I used small zigzag stitches to attach each component to the rear rib of fabric.

view of the back